Wednesday 28 November 2012

Memories

We caught the city circle tram to the Docklands on Sunday ..the kids flooded us with questions..what are those hangers for ? what's that rope for ? ..

I explained I used to catch one of these 25 years ago to school..the leather hangers are for people to hold on to ..the rope is for people to let the driver know they would like to get off at the next stop..when you pull the rope the bells go dingaling a ling ..

I had a look around ..the windows were made of timber ..the detailing...the worn leather hangers..what a beautiful tram..full of character..

I am glad we are using these trams to take visitors around to show off Melbourne..the service is free and has a running commentary..

made me remember the days of dangling outside on the ledge as could not fit into the tram..the doors were never closed in those days..no ticket machines..no validating your tickets..just tram conductors selling tickets from their leather pouches..and punching the tickets with hole punchers..

the city circle trams are class W trams...I think the ones I used to catch was the SW6 

city circle : http://www.worldisround.com/articles/23356/photo6.html

the trams I used to catch : http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanmelbourne/3433843074/

No comments:

Post a Comment